Monday, January 10, 2011

Did I tell you that I am not a morning person?

Did I? Well, if I didn't, I'm not. I think getting up really early should actually be a sin, or at least classified as not smart. My body just doesn't function well in the morning. And did I tell you that I don't like the cold weather? I kind of think that should be a sin as well. Can you classify weather in the sin department? Don't get me wrong. I don't look down on people that enjoy the early mornings or the cold. I just don't understand you which means that I don't totally understand my son. For some reason, he has decided that getting up early is the thing to do (he must not realize that when Ima is woken up really early, Ima is kind of grouchy).
 Anyways, he has started getting up really early-like 5:45 early. Now, I know some of you are laughing, because by 5:45 you are already starting your day; but when I don't have to wake up the kids until 7:00 to get them ready for school, 5:45 is really early. And remember-Ima doesn't like the mornings. Especially really cold, dreary winter mornings. Those days are like 2 sins wrapped up in one-a double sin! Now lets add the fact that when my son wakes up, he is ready to talk which makes for a bad situation as he tries to "accidentally" wake up his sisters. Do you know what is worse than 1 child awake that early? 3 children awake that early. This morning was one of those mornings-5:45 and here comes my son. Oh boy! I even asked my husband-"What is going on with him? Did someone threaten him with being late to school or something? Whatever it is, I sure hope he snaps out of it." And then I rolled over, pulled the covers over my head, and told everyone to stop talking to me and waking me up-I still had a precious hour of sleep! What seemed like 5 minutes, my husband begins to cause me to wake again which was quite brave of him I must say. Unfortunately he said "honey I am sorry to tell you, but it is 7:00" (insert a very nasty grunt and snarl from the alien life form, also known as Ima, that now has to peel her body from the warm covers). By the time I got my body unstuck, it was 7:10. I stumbled into the kitchen only to have a slap of reality-I had gotten up way too late, because I remembered I had a doctor's appointment at 9:15 all the way in the medical center. For me that is quite a drive, especially at that time of day. I began hurrying and rushing around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Thinking I had time to make hash browns, I threw some on the stove, praised Jesus that 2 of my kids wanted to buy lunch today, threw together my oldest child's lunch, and tried to throw myself together. Thankfully, I don't shower much (which is a post for another time-maybe) so I am good at throwing myself together-jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirt, and jacket. Hair up in a pony tail and a fresh swipe of make-up and were good. Well, good in the sense that I am dressed and not naked. Not really good in the sense that I look very presentable, but it is only a doctor's appointment, not the Oscar's. When I go to the Oscar's, I at least take a shower. (Just kidding-I don't go to the Oscar's).

Where was I? Oh yeah, I was running around like crazy as my son was sitting ever so calmly in the game room completely ready to go. I look at the clock-7:40! Hurry, throw some water in one of the water bottles and start dishing out hash browns and apologize to the kids that they "aren't quite cooked as well as normal, but just use a lot of ketchup." Look at the clock again-7:46! Now this is getting serious. We usually need to be at the school around 8:00 so my oldest can catch the bus to her school which is 45 minutes away. We live about 5 minutes from the bus stop, which means that we have to leave at 7:55, which means that we have to start getting into the car the night before-it takes a long time to get 3 kids into the car with all of their things not to mention the dog! I do what only a mom can do at a time like this-I call in back up-the one and only child that is ready because he gets up at that sinful hour. Our conversation is below:

Ima: "Son, can you fill these 2 water bottles up please?!"

Son: "Sure mom, but do you know why you are running so late?"

Ima: "No son, why don't you tell mommy right now."

Son: "Well it is because you didn't get up early enough like I did."

(Doesn't it bug you when your kids are right?)

Defeated, I admitted he was right and that I was learning my lesson. I need to start sinning and get up early. But we had no time for confessions-we had to go. Time-about 7:52! I look at the table and realize the girls were still eating. I did the only other thing I could do. I grabbed some Reese's buttercups from the counter top and shuffled all of them to the car and had them eat the chocolate on the way to school. A kid has got to eat their breakfast you know! After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My oldest chimes in and says, "mom what will happen if I miss my bus?" "Well, I will just have to take you to school and miss my appointment. Your brother is right-I should have gotten up earlier. Now hurry!" Racing through the streets of the neighborhood, but still going the speed limit, because my kids are the speed limit police (not to mention the person in front of me going the speed limit), we are heading to school. Time-8:00-the time the bus is usually there. The moment is tense and I am praying that the bus will be late. My oldest daughter decides to chime in again. See conversation below:

Oldest child: "Mom I am sorry if you have to take me and miss your appointment."

Ima: "Oh sweet heart that is so sweet, but it is o.k. It was mommy's fault, and I am learning my lesson."

Oldest child: "Mom if I do make it to my bus and you don't have to take me, and you make it to your appointment, are you sure you will still learn your lesson?"

Ima: no words-just laughing.

Doesn't it bug you when your kids are right? After all, I did make it to my appointment, and I just don't think I will get up early tomorrow. Getting up early is a sin, and I am supposed to be a role model for my kids.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Lady, our mornings are so similar...take for instance we have to leave in 30 minutes for bible study and no one is dressed yet (including me). I hate mornings, too! Hilarious!

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...