Sunday, February 13, 2011

Music Monday

I thought I would try something new. I am not sure how good I will be at keeping it up, but this blog is about trying new things anyways so I thought I would give it a shot.



"MUSIC MONDAY"


I love music. I have absolutely no musical talent, but I love it none the less. I love everything about it-the words, the instruments, the rhythm, the talent of the artists which amaze me, and the ability a song has to impact people. Music does something to me; and depending on what the song is, this can be good or bad. You see, I have to be very careful with what I listen to. The words of a song affect/effect (I never figured out that grammatical rule) me greatly. If I am upset with the Other Nut, I can in no way listen to a country song about how "love stinks and I don't need you." If I am feeling a little down, a song about how "life is just horrible" isn't the song for me, because it really impacts me and just helps to solidify my feelings.
 If you ever hear me cranking up country music in my car with the windows down, I am probably a lot slightly upset with the Other Nut and want to rebel. Thankfully, through God slowly cracking this nutcase open, I have learned this about myself and make wiser choices-thanks to the grace of God. I am now very careful about my music choices. If I am feeling down or upset with the Other Nut, I make a point to only listen to uplifting music about living a life pleasing to the Lord. This, of course, doesn't make all of my sadness or frustration go away, but it does help point me in that direction. It helps me remember how I am suppose to live and what God has done for me.

I must clarify, though, that I am in no way saying we should only watch what we listen too if we are upset or feeling down. I am personally of the belief that music impacts us positively or negatively even if we think we are feeling just fine. I believe that I can start my day off feeling just splendid, but if I listen to depressing "life stinks and I want to die" music all day, I am not going to feel so grand by the end of the day. To be on the safe side, I choose to listen to certain music. If you have found this not to be true for yourself, then that is fine. However, I would challenge you to do a trial run of only listening to God glorifying music for a while and see what happens.

So where am I going with this? Well, I thought that every other Monday will be "Music Monday" (I thought about doing every Monday, but then I looked around my house and reality set in). I am going to showcase one song that has really touched me and talk about it. My prayer would be that the song will, in turn, do the same for you. If anything, it is a great way to expand your music library. Please know that I am, in no way, trying to pretend that I know the exact message the artist was hoping to convey through the lyrics and music. I am simply going to be sharing what the song means to me and how God spoke to me through it.

If you want to join me and share your thoughts and comments, that would be great. And hopefully, I will keep up with it. :) And now panic has set in, because I just realized that tomorrow is MONDAY!

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a beautiful song. I love "Music Monday"...what a great idea.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...