Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roadkill and Elementary Math


Well, I went from feeling like this



to feeling like this today.


My fever got to 102 and by body aches. I finally did call the Other Nut to come home, although it was already 4:45. He came home with 7 up and is making dinner. Praise God for the Other Nut. I am very thankful for him. I went against all nursing logic and took a hot bath even though I have a fever. My body just ached. I am now not as achy, but am still hot with a very tight, pounding, snot full head.


As I was sitting on the couch feeling like roadkill, I heard my middle daughter who is in 4th grade, and the Other Nut talking about her math. She is just getting into fractions and had some questions. The Other Nut asked her what a proper fraction was, but she wasn't quite sure. I actually wasn't sure either, but I decided to give my thoughts.

"A proper fraction is one that wears a dress and doesn't toot."

The Other Nut informed me that I was wrong. The sad thing is I have no idea what a proper fraction is. To be honest, I really don't care (other than the fact that I can't help my daughter with her elementary math). The only time I would worry about fractions being proper or improper is in a situation like this:

1/3 of my kids just went pee in the front yard. Now, that would be an improper fraction. (Yes, that did happen. I bet you can't guess which 1/3 of my kids did that.)

Other than that, I don't really care. I use fractions when I cook, but I also have a nifty little fraction chart. You know the ones they have for cooking.

I wish I could say that the reason I can't do elementary math is because of the aformentioned feeling like roadkill, but I can't. Even if my head was very clear right now, I couldn't help her with proper or improper fractions. And it is not that I am dumb. I minored in math in school, and you have to know basic math to get through nursing school. It's just that I am the epitome of "if you don't use it, you lose it." 

And I am quite ok with that. Who needs fractions anyways? Especially when you feel like roadkill. Thankfully, though I don't have to eat roadkill. The Other Nut just handed me a bowl of hot chicken vegetable soup so I guess I better go so I can eat.


  


No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...