Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hollywood

When I had my son, I already had 2 girls. I soon found myself home with a 3 year old, 14 month old, and an infant. Needless to say, I didn't get much done and didn't go too many places. When I did, I had to time it just right between my oldest being new at going in the big potty, having 1 child that still used a bottle, an infant that was nursing, and 2 that were in diapers. Just as soon as I would get 1 changed and ready to go after I finally finished nursing, the other would poop or pee. I don't think I even had time to wipe the spit up and breast milk off of myself before I left the house. I only had a certain window of time before I would have to start everything all over.

Well, we all have heard the saying "necessity is the mother of all inventions", and I am sure that is true; but I say that having 3 kids in 3 years can also be the mother of all invention. I had to find a way to get out of the house faster and just have help around the house when I was home. Enter my 3 year old. She was able to dress herself from head to toe so I jumped on that. I quickly decided that I didn't care if anything matched, just as long as it was clean. Boy, would she come out in some doozies! But she was so proud that she could help mommy. Well, we continued that tradition with our other 2 kids, because watching their excitement over learning to do something on their own was worth the non matching outfits. Besides, I figured they had enough years ahead of them to worry about there clothes. Over time, I have been slowly teaching them about matching, but when I say slow, I mean slow. My oldest daughter still wears non matching socks. She says they look cool, and she loves color.

I don't think they have been made fun of too bad yet. I am sure a child psychologist would tell me that I might damage my children for letting them wear outfits that are a little off, but I like to look at it like I am allowing them to develop their own sense of style and become their own person. Besides, have you seen what they wear in Hollywood? I wouldn't exactly call too many of them "matching", and they get labeled as fashion icons! Speaking of Hollywood and how they dress, my sister has always called my girls "Hollywood", because of their, how should I put it, interesting outfits.

So, I thought I would introduce you to one of my "Hollywoods" and her outfit from Thursday.


She wore this to school all day. She wanted to show the music teacher her socks and audition for a play with her outfit-she loves these socks!

OK, here is the kicker. Later that night, we were going out to dinner as a family. She wanted us to wait, because she had to go take off her socks. I asked her why. Her response-"Mom, you don't expect me to go out in public like this do you?"

Oh yeah, because no one sees you at school.

p.s. We still let them pick out their own clothes, even if they don't match. And now instead of clean, I find myself sometimes just asking that they be somewhat clean. With having a boy, that is the best I can hope for.

2 comments:

Level III NICU Nurse said...

Haha!! I love this! I have felt the same way with my children dressing themselves. I have pictures of Ashley wearing two different socks because she thought it was "cool." She still wears socks that don't match her outfit but at least they match each other! :0)

"Ima" said...

Hey. I am glad you found my blog. Thanks for reading. At least Ashley goes for the matching socks. I'm still working on mine. :) Hopefully, we'll each other again soon so the girls can play.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...