Friday, March 4, 2011

Human Touch

Scientists have proven again and again that human touch is essential to our well being. Just do a Google search, and you will find many articles like this. Even if you don't claim "touch" to be your 1st or 2nd love language, I bet you would say that human touch, in some form, is still essential to your well being. This need begins at birth and doesn't end until we take our last breath in our earthly bodies. 

I was reminded this week how much I love human touch. When I was sick, I made everyone stay away from me so they hopefully wouldn't get the flu and bronchitis. It was the right thing to do, but by day 3 or 4, I was really missing them. I was missing their touch; my kids' sweet kisses and hugs, the way my son will sometimes rub my shoulders, the Other Nut's tender kisses and touches. I just really wanted a hug and some human contact. And there was nothing sexual in my desire for human touch. Trust me, sex was the furthest thing from my mind as I laid on the couch hacking up my lungs. I just wanted to feel that human touch that is so essential to, well feeling human. You know the type of touch don't you? When your spouse walks by, and he ever so gently just touches your shoulder. Or your kids run at you full speed and wrap their arms around your waste and squeeze, trying to show you how strong they are. A touch from a girlfriend that says "I know, and I am here for you." That is what I began to miss so much. Even to the point where I asked the Other Nut to just sit at the end of the couch and touch my toes which he so lovingly did.

You know the Other Nut and I talk about touch a lot, especially in regards to our children. We are a very touchy family here. Our kids love to just touch us, to know we are there. Our oldest daughter use to just touch her daddy's feet under the table at dinner time. I don't even think she was fully aware that she was doing it, but her daddy loved it. My son loves to give us kisses right on our lips, and they have to be good ones to. If they aren't, he wants you to "rekiss" him. The Other Nut and I talk about never letting this die, never letting this stop, because I think it is something that is always in danger of stopping as children grow. In the article The Importance of Touch it says this,

 "As we grow older, we may begin to receive less and less touch. We may hesitate to initiate it ourselves. We may come to associate touch exclusively with sexuality. We forget that we still need touch as much as we did when we were youngsters."

And so I will try to never let touch die in this home. No matter how awkward it may feel to hug my grown children, I pray I always hug them and kiss them. Even when-no, especially when they are changing from a young child to a young woman or man. I am convinced that at that moment their need for human touch from the Other Nut and myself is of upmost importance as their bodies change.

So today, I will hug my kids since I am out of the contagious zone. Last night, I went for a walk around the cul-de-sac with the Other Nut and held hands. And today, I met him for lunch, and we held hands and smooched. It was a glorious smooch. After a week of not kissing him, I had almost forgotten how great his lips are!

So today, hug your spouse and hold hands. Take a stroll together even if it is just down the street. Let your kids hang on you and squeeze you tight even if their little hands are sticky. Hug a friend so they know you care. Find an elderly person that you know and give them a hug. Remember, you never stop desiring or needing human touch, no matter what your age is.

No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...