Monday, March 28, 2011

Music Monday


Music Monday
 "How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son,
To make a wretch His treasure."


This song had me at the first verse. I heard it first sung by a girl at church. I was captivated by the words and went immediately home to purchase it from iTunes. The words and music are by Stuart Townend, who writes songs rooted in deep Biblical truths. This song has been sung by various artists with myself owning one version by Kendall Payne and another version by Selah. The version by Selah is the one on my blog. They are equally good and very much worth having.

I look at my own son, or even my own husband and daughters, and can't fathom having a love for someone else that would drive me to give any of them up. Especially for someone that was wretched and would often times forget I was even there. And yet, that is what the Father did for me, for us. He gave up His only Son so that we might become His treasure-even though we often forget Him in our day to day activities. Well, at least I know I do. The driving factor was simply His deep love for us. My finite mind and sinful nature can't begin to process this to the fullest, but I know I have felt His love and am so thankful that He considers me His treasure.

I can't imagine the pain the Son must have felt as the Father looked away as the sin of the world laid upon Him, Jesus; sin that He didn't even commit. It is out of this pain that I now can live in glory with Him forever. I wonder what His scars look like? How visible are they? What will I think when I see them for the first time? I wonder if He is proud of them, because of what they represent; for they represent freedom from bondage of sin,  and new, eternal life for those who believe in the One who bears those scars?

I think about Jesus on the cross. I have seen pictures that depict Him hanging there suffering. Sometimes I find myself looking at them without even thinking or pondering much, because I have seen them so many times. Could it be that they have become too familiar? Could it be that I look at them like they are just a regular picture much like the ones I have hanging in my house of flowers and such? Could it be that often I find myself forgetting that He was there, because of me? If I look and listen really quietly, I should be able to hear my voice mocking Him with the rest of the crowd. I should look and remember that it was  MY sin that was sitting on His shoulder's. I should remember that even at that moment, He loved.

Jesus, because of His love, stayed there until EVERY SINGLE SIN was atoned for. With His death, I have received life. With His death, the battle was won, and the enemy knew that he could never win. The end of the story is known, and Jesus wins. May my life honor His death.

And may I never boast in anything but Jesus, His death and resurrection. NOTHING! For anything good in me comes from Him. Left to myself, I am a wicked soul without hope.

And yet, this wicked soul gains from His reward. I gain from His pain and death. I gain from Him having to endure suffering. Can we ever really fully explain that? It seems wrong to gain from someones pain and suffering, but this is what the Father and Son intended all along. Jesus' main goal in being born was to eventually die.

Those scars that I wonder about? They paid my ransom. That should have been me on that cross. That should have been you on that cross. Romans 6:23 tells us that-"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

But a deep love that came from the Father stepped in in the form of His Son Jesus, and paid our ransom. I hope that when I see Him, I don't forget to touch the wounds that set me free.

How Deep the Father's Love for Us

How deep the Father’s love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon the cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed to hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that kept Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom [x2]


Words and music by Stuart Townend

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Love that song! Great post!

"Ima" said...

Thanks Cheryl. I listen to this song quite often. It never gets old.

Kara said...

That song is special to me...especially Selah's version. That was our daughter's name.
Selah means "to pause and value"...love how you did that in this post.

Anonymous said...

i love seeing you write and your insights. love, me

"Ima" said...

Kara-thanks for the comment. I thought of your daughter when I wrote the word Selah. Your posts about her are beautiful-I have enjoyed learning about her life. Thank you for sharing her story.

Anonymous-AKA-the Other Nut-thanks for your sweet words. I love you too honey.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...