Tuesday, March 29, 2011

To Tell A Story

I love a good story. I love to tell a good story, to listen to one, or read a good story. I remember being at my grandparent's lake house in Karnack, Texas and sitting around listening to all of the wonderful family stories. It was usually my dad and 3 uncles narrating with everyone else listening and laughing. It was a wonderful time, because something happens when a story is told; people become known, a bonding takes place, and people and life events are remembered from generation to generation. I am so thankful that my family instilled in me the love of stories. I have since passed down stories of my family to my kids. They absolutely love to hear stories about themselves, especially from when they were younger.

When I was studying a passage in Deuteronomy, my story telling was challenged. I realized that I was often forgetting the most important types of stories; stories that spoke of God and His faithfulness. Sure, my kids have heard about Noah, Moses, Jonah and the whale, David and Goliath, the stories that most kids in Sunday school learn. But, I wasn't telling them enough stories about God's faithfulness in my own life, in their life. 

When Moses was talking with the Israelites, giving them instructions on the commandments of the Lord, he reminded them to do the commandments "so that you and your son and your grandson might fear the LORD your God, to keep all His statutes and commandments which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your life may be prolonged." (6:2 NASB)

He went on to say that "you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might." (6:5 NASB) He wanted them to teach the words to their sons diligently and talk of them at all times. (6:7 paraphrased). You see, their culture was an oral culture. The stories of God's faithfulness to the people of Israel were to be told over and over again so that each generation would remember. They definitely knew how to tell a story.

After I read this passage, I decided I needed to expand my story telling. I decided I needed to tell stories about the day that God helped us find my youngest daughter's little pink knife that she lost; stories about the day that God healed my son while he was in the hospital with a bad thumb infection. One day, when they are old enough, they will get to hear the story of how God restored mommy and daddy's marriage; stories that speak of God's faithfulness that I will tell over and over again  so that generations to come "might fear the LORD your God, . . " (6:2). My prayer is that my children will then continue this story telling within their own families one day-stories that tell the generations to come about God's faithfulness.

As believers when we tell our stories to our friends, family, co-workers, and the world, God is remembered. When we tell our stories, together they become God's Story.

So, I want to tell God's Story in blogland. I did this at my ladies' Bible study, and seeing it together as one story was encouraging. Here's my thoughts. If you want to participate, leave a comment or send me an email telling me something that reminds you of God's faithfulness, something that you can pass down to the generations to come. I will then make it into one Story through a slide show. Each one sent will end up looking something like this:


So if you want to participate, email me at mylifeisanutcase (at) hotmail (dot) com or leave a comment. 



Raising Homemakers













5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll play...I am a believer and this is part of my story: It is just beginning to dawn on me that I don't know everything -- and that this is a blessing from God. love, me

"Ima" said...

Thanks honey. I love you. Thanks for supporting me in this blogging thing. It means a lot to me.

Cheryl said...

Love this idea!

I'm a believer, saved by grace, and I hope in the One who promises that He who began a good work in me WILL carry it onto completion for the praise of His name.

Btw - Happy Birthday!

Dayle said...

What a lovely idea. I just posted yesterday about the importance of telling the stories that make up our life. If we don't tell them, who will?

One of the greatest parts of my story is this: I was healed of cancer at age 17.

"Ima" said...

Dayle-thank you for telling part of your story here. Praise God for your healing! I read your post and visited your blog-it was very encouraging. I have started writing my story,because I felt God wanted me to. I hope to leave it for my kids so, as you said,they won't die with me.I look forward to reading more on your blog.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...