Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wish I Knew About This


Boy, I wish I had known about this last week before I got the flu. I would be guzzling Gatorade.    




Down a Sports Drink

"Not only will guzzling Gatorade help your body recover from a tough workout, but it may also protect you from the latest strain of the flu. According to a study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition, when 10 triathletes drank more than 1 cup of sports drink every 15 minutes during intense exercise, they had significantly better immune response than they did when they drank a placebo."

You can find the article here.

Now I do have a few problems with this so called "don't get the flu" remedy. One is that I don't think we need Gatorade or other sports drinks near as much as we drink them. Most of us do just fine replenishing our bodies with water after a workout, even a tough one. Notice that the people in this so called study were triathletes. I think that pretty much takes out most of the population.

Another thing is that the Gatorade did not actually keep them from getting the flu. It simply said that their immune response seemed better. This bugs me, because if Gatorade worked so well at keeping people from getting the flu there would be a lot less flu around town. Have you seen the amount of Gatorade our kids drink these days?

Also, as far as I am concerned the article might as well have said "eat a tablespoon of sugar every 15 minutes", because Gatorade has a lot of sugar in it which from what I remember learning, isn't good for you. Besides, who wants to drink 1 cup of liquid every 15 minutes? Maybe the flu bug just gets drowned from all the liquid?

Needless to say, next flu season I'm still getting the flu shot. I am NOT going the Gatorade route. Something inside of me tells me it doesn't really work.

Now drinking diet coke? That's another thing. Maybe I would try that if they came out with a study that said "drinking diet coke helps you not get the flu." Actually, if that were true, I wouldn't have gotten the flu this season, because I drink diet coke a lot!

Come to think of it, I think I'll just stick with good old western medicine and get a shot.

No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...