Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ironic Isn't It

It's ironic isn't it? The Nutcase who hates cooking is posting a recipe? Does this mean that she once again likes cooking? Let me think about that for a second-NO! But the problem is, I have 3 kids and the Other Nut that I must feed, so cook sometimes I must. Just so you know, most of the time I am cooking I am quite bored. It's times like these that I am so thankful for music. Anyways, since I have to feed my family, here is one of our staple meals. This is mainly for breakfast, but can also be eaten as a treat during the day. Or if you're like me, you will just eat on it ALL DAY and make your kids upset that you didn't leave them any.

P.S. Not only do I not like cooking, I have an incredible ability to NOT take good pictures. Basically, what I'm saying is I have one picture of this dish. I know seeing pictures of the steps are helpful, but you won't get that here. Sorry charlie. 

I got this recipe from my best friend's sister.

Oatmeal Bake


1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs*
1 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3 cups oats (not the instant kind)
1 cup pure maple syrup**
brown sugar
cinnamon
fresh berries (optional)***


In large mixing bowl, pour the olive oil and sugar. Mix well. Next put in the eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, and oats. Mix well. Stir in the maple syrup and mix. Pour into baking dish and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. The amount can be according to your liking. I like a lot of both since it gives it a slightly crunchy top. Place in refrigerator over night. Dream all night about eating your warm oatmeal bake in the morning. Wake up excited about getting to eat your warm oatmeal bake and put it in the over for about 30 minutes on 350 degrees. It might take a little longer than 30 minutes. I take mine out when it is still a little moist, because I like the gooey texture.

* My oldest daughter is allergic to eggs so I substitute unsweetened apple sauce for the eggs. I use 1/4 cup apple sauce to 1 egg.
** If you don't like the taste of maple, you can go with 1/2 maple syrup and 1/2 agave nectar. The maple taste is slightly less. I love maple-the only reason I did this was because I ran out of syrup. It didn't end up affecting my like of the dish though. Also, agave nectar has a slightly lower glycemic index than maple syrup, although maple syrup is only around 54 which is still barely in the low section. I haven't tried it with all agave nectar, because I would miss the maple taste.
*** The original recipe didn't call for fresh fruit, but we love blueberries so one day I thought I would branch out and live on the wild side. I tossed in some fresh blueberries and the rest is history. Amazingly yummy! I might try raspberries one day to see how that tastes. So far, blueberries are all I have tried.

I have eaten this dish made exactly as the recipes calls for, and it is just as good.





  
 I told you I wasn't a photographer. You kind of need shades because of the glare. I would have taken a picture of it nicely on a plate ready to be eaten, but I had made this for a friend and figured it wouldn't be right to take it to her with a big chunk out. Anyways, if you look really closely, you sort of can see that some of the blueberries burst from the heat. This just makes it better. Now I'm hungry.

No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...