Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Is This Going Too Far?

photo source
OK so I just read this in the news, and I had to comment and get on my soap box. This is just going too far in taking away our rights as parents. My children are all in public school which I pay taxes towards so this story obviously made me stop and read it. If I am paying taxes, using my own money to raise my children into adulthood, responsible for their care and well-being, paying for their clothes, school supplies, etc. then if I want to send them a coke and flaming hot chips for lunch EVERYDAY, then I should be able to. If I want to send my kids coke and cake EVERYDAY, then I should be able to. Now, I choose not to, because I believe that type of diet is not the best for my children-but I get to CHOOSE that-not the school. If the district is paying for a child's food through financial assistance or if my child is buying that day-well, OK-then the school gets to choose the menu. I'm fine with that. But please don't tell us as parents that we can't send our child to school with a lunch made from home-whatever is in it. And please don't try to use the lame excuse that your cafeteria lunch food is healthier and tastier-have you ever seen a school cafeteria lunch tray? Sometimes I don't understand why my kids want to buy a rubber looking chicken patty. I rest my case in that area. (For the record-I do let my kids buy sometimes even if it looks gross and like rubber. Every so often, it won't kill them. Also, to be quite honest, making 3 lunches 5 days a week is not the most exciting thing to do.)

Now some may say-"Well, if you don't like the policy, take your kids out of public school."

Yes, that is one option, and if God wanted us to do that, we would. But, I don't believe that is always the answer. If no one ever chose to stand up against a policy they didn't believe in, nothing would ever change. So, sometimes you stay, abide by the rules to the extent that you can morally, while at the same time work towards changing them. Just ask my kids and their elementary school in regards to the types of and how many videos they are allowed to watch now :).

So what do you think? Has the school gone too far? If it were your school, what would you do?

7 comments:

Christy said...

My better half was telling me about this last night and it upset me, too. It's an insult to say we as parents aren't capable of feeding our own children. It's a privilege (even though some days it's a hassle) to provide food for my children...they are MY responsibility. So slide my soap box right up next to your's.

Kara said...

I can't even believe that. My husband will go crazy when he sees that.
WAY too much "help"...

"Ima" said...

Amen girls! Way too much help. My kids are my responsibility-and today, I chose to feed them rubber chicken from the cafeteria, which we all know is WAY healthier than what I would have sent them. Ha! :)

Sheridan said...

I completely agree! I couldn't believe it when I read that article. This is going to be a gateway to taking away many other parental rights...

"Ima" said...

Sheridan-that is so true and why it is so scary and wrong. One day, we will have to fight for our rights, possibly in many areas. It makes me want to send cake and coke to lunch for my kids :) Well, at least the rebel side of me.

Tammy Tutu said...

WHAT?!?!? I haven't heard about this! That is absurd...going to the school district site right now to see what I can find out. Totally ridiculous. Thank you for the info! Have a great day!

"Ima" said...

I know Tammy. Can you believe this? I haven't checked on an update so maybe they have changed the rules. Hopefully there was enough outrage over it to make them think twice. Let me know if they did.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...