Sunday, April 10, 2011

It's A Small World After All


photo source
 Sometimes I'm reminded of what a small world it really is, and I like it. It reminds me of how small I am. My friend always laughs and says that I can usually find some connection to someone-just give me enough time. Just the other day, it happened. The Other Nut and I are refinancing our home to a 15 year mortgage, and the email traffic regarding this had a familiar last name-we both just ignored it, thinking "surely not". Well, it surely was. Turns out the secretary was married to the boy who grew up in our home. Strange-such a small world! But it's not the first time this has happened. Take for instance:

-The time I went with the Other Nut to an old Yosemite get together (he had spent the summer there). I kept looking at this one lady that was a friend of a friend of the Other Nut and thinking that I knew her. They of course didn't even go to Yosemite-they just happened to be there visiting with the other people. The Other Nut thought I was crazy, that I had lost my marbles. But I just knew I knew her! I think I was starting to wig her out as well. She kept telling me that she didn't know me "now get away from me you crazy lady!" Well, OK she didn't actually say that, but I bet she was thinking it. It wasn't until their little girl got ready to go swimming that I finally remembered! I wasn't crazy. Praise Jesus! She was putting on a special type of bandage that burn patients wear, because she wanted to go swimming. She was a patient on the pediatric unit when I did my clinical round in nursing school. After I finally put it together and told the mom, I think she still thought I was crazy. But I say-it's small world.

-Or the time the Other Nut and I went to visit yet another friend from Yosemite. She had invited us to dinner with some of her friends that we had never met. When we walked in, I immediately thought I had seen or met the guy who owned the house-I just couldn't remember where. I didn't say anything this time, but I just kept staring. Probably not the best impression. It was over dinner that I finally realized where I had seen him before. Over dinner, I found out he was a doctor. That's it! I had been his patient one time. Now, this is where it gets funny. You see, I had gone to him for GI issues, and he had to see if my colon was bleeding. Let's just say he probably didn't recognize my face, because that wasn't exactly what he was focused on during my appointment. Talk about awkward! This was one time that I kept my "it's a small world moment" to myself-until I left and told the Other Nut.

-Or the time my old high school boyfriend had a friend whose girlfriend had grandparent's that lived down the street from my grandparents. Did you get that? This might not seem too odd, but my grandparents lived in Karnack, Texas on Caddo Lake. This isn't exactly a heavily populated place. I mean, have you ever heard of Karnack, Texas. I'm talking deep East Texas. It's a small world.

-Or the time we found out who my oldest daughter's kindergarten teacher was. Turns out she was the daughter of my old Sunday school teachers who I hadn't seen in many years. They had moved to Austin when I was about 20 years old, and 9 years later, their daughter was my daughter's teacher. It's a small world.

-Or the time I had just given birth to my second child. As the doctor was finishing everything up, the nurses had shift change. I looked over as my new nurse walked in only to see a fellow classmate from 2 years prior. If I hadn't just pushed out a baby, that moment might have been a little awkward. It's a small world after all.

I could probably keep going, but you get the point.

So what about you? How have you been reminded that it's a small world?

No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...