Monday, April 18, 2011

With This Ring, I Thee Wed

I'm not sure why it took me so long to write about my vow renewals and post pictures, because it was such a special night for me, but better late than never. This past December, the 27th to be exact, the Other Nut and I celebrated 13 years of wedded bliss. After a dark time in our marriage that could have destroyed our family, we embrace every year with much thankfulness. I am so thankful for 13 years with the Other Nut. He is truly an amazing man.
When our anniversary arrived, the kids were with their grandparents, and we were headed to dinner and a movie-or so I thought. Now, when we go to dinner and a movie, I like to be comfortable so I usually wear my jeans and a t-shirt with flip flops-my go-to outfit. This night was a little cold though so I wore my tennis shoes instead of flip flops. I thought I would change it up a bit. Ha! Every so often I dress up, but I usually end up uncomfortable wishing I had worn something else. This night, even though it was our anniversary, the Other Nut was going casual so I said a "hallelujah" and put on my casual clothes.  
What I didn't know was that we really weren't going to just dinner and a movie. We arrived at the restaurant and to my surprise, in walked an old friend. She had actually been my maid of honor in my wedding. But still, nothing clicked. Well, then in walked some friends from our church. This is when I started to get a little confused. It was at that moment that the Other Nut told me it wasn't going to be just us, but some of our old wedding part, and that we were going to renew our vows at the church after dinner. I was so shocked! And quickly a little mortified at my choice of clothes, not much make-up and hair up in the bun look.
But this night was going to be about so much more so I decided to not let that bother me. Besides our t-shirts were appropriate-mine said "I love my husband", and his said "I love my wife."
Now before you wonder why in the world didn't the Other Nut kind of gently nudge me in the direction of dressing up a little more, there is one thing you need to know-he rarely gets any surprise past me. If he would have mentioned something about what we should wear, I would have instantly known something was up, and he so badly wanted it to be a surprise. And I'm glad he surprised me-it was so sweet.
After we ate, we headed to our church with the wedding party. The guy who married us was there with his wife, one of Shawn's groomsmen with his wife (who also happened to be a friend of mine from high school), my maid of honor and her husband, and a friend from church with her husband (she acted as the wonderful photographer for us that night).
I actually walked down the aisle, but didn't have any flowers so I used a poinsetta plant. I had to go with what they had OK. :)
One of the husbands lead us in worship which was wonderful-I would post a picture of that, but I look like a real goofball in that picture. Then the guy who married us talked a little bit, and this time we listened very intently. The first go around we were so excited, we talked the whole time. After 13 years, we realized we needed to listen! Then the pastor, our friend, said we were going to say our own vows right there on the spot. Talk about nervous. Remember this was a surprise. I was already on the verge of tears and this did me in. All I remember saying was that one of the best things I had ever done, thanks to God's grace, was not give up on our marriage and that I was in love with the Other Nut more now than the day I married him.
The pastor, who also sings, sang the song he sang at our wedding, "I will be here." Can I just say that the words meant so much more this time around.
Well, I guess that is enough writing. I will just show you some pictures.







I tried to post a few more pictures, one being the wedding party, but they wouldn't upload for some reason. Maybe I'll try again later.

Honey, if you are reading this (which I'm sure you are, because you read my blog like all the time), I love you. I am so glad to be married to you and can't wait to celebrate another year with you. I am amazed that God gave me you as my husband. When I see you, my heart still skips a beat.

Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be.




6 comments:

not accidentally tuesday said...

Oh such a sweet story. We will celebrate our 40th this year. God is good. Our blog is about those moments in life that God steps in. Hope you will come by and visit. Blessings, Debbie

Lisa Maria said...

Tami, this is really beautiful. My husband and I celebrated our 21st this February. We didn't do anything formal like you did, but he did bless our wedding rings with Holy Water and said his promises over on one knee. Just as you said in your post.. it meant so much more saying the vows this time round..(you'll see why in the em I sent you today)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful ceremony with us

Other Nut said...

I love you too, Nut. :) It was such a God thing that I was able to surprise you. Couldn't even do that for the engagement. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

"Ima" said...

Debbie-thank you for your comment. Congratulations on 40 years! That is something to celebrate. I visited your blog and love it. I love to read the stories on there. Looking forward to reading more.

Lisa Maria-Congratulations to your 21st. I know it meant a lot to celebrate. It sounds like it was really a sweet time. Hopefully, we can talk again. I love your blog.

Kara said...

I love this...made teary...God is so good.

"Ima" said...

Kara-yes He is! And I can't wait to finish my post about the stone to share with people.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...