Sunday, May 22, 2011

He Wrote What?!

You know those times when you just feel like you should get the "Mother of the Year" award? Well, I had one today. (insert sarcasm with the whole "mother of the year" award thing).  Today left the Other Nut and I basically speechless. We both just kept shaking our heads, wondering if we had somehow taught our son this.

You see, he has been trying to push against authority lately, which really isn't too surprising. I think every kid does this at different times, but I sure do wish it would end.

Last night we had a babysitter, a wonderful babysitter at that. The Other Nut and I were so glad to be going on a date-it had been a while since we had been to dinner together. Since I have been working with our little Walnut in this "pushing against authority" area, I had a little talk with him before we left. He has been telling other people that he doesn't have to obey them, because "they aren't his mommy".

So, like I said, we had a talk, and he very specifically told me that he would obey.

"Son, what are you going to say when she tells you to do something, or to stop doing something?"
"I am going to say, 'Yes, Ma'am' and obey."
"Good, because if not, when we get home, you will get in trouble. I don't want the babysitter to have to call."

Upon returning home from our wonderful, relaxing date, I of course asked the babysitter how the kids were. Well, let's just say, that the Walnut didn't do what he said he was going to do. During the course of the night, he did inform the babysitter that "she wasn't his mommy". I mean, does he really think she isn't going to tell us?

They were already asleep so this morning we addressed it and part of his punishment was that he had to write a note apologizing to our sweet babysitter.

The Other Nut put it in his pocket WITHOUT READING IT. After church, he was looking for our babysitter to give it to her. I asked to see it and was left speechless with what I read. Was this really what I was teaching my kids? And what if I hadn't read it before the Other Nut gave it to her? Oh. my. gosh!

You're curious aren't you? I bet you are wondering what it said and thinking that it couldn't have been that bad. Well, let's just take a look shall we.



In case you can't read it, let me translate:
"To Kaitlyn (meanie) Sorry for what my parent's call talking back to you last night."

From, Anonymous

That's just great, son. And now you will have a miserable day and not get to go to your birthday party you were invited to. Hope you enjoy it.

When we got home, Hazelnut decided to act up as well. They were on a roll, I guess so she also lost her privilege today. She told me I needed to watch Jonah, because that is the movie about second chances. She apparently thought she deserved a second chance BEFORE SHE HAD ANY OUNCE OF REMORSE. Needless to say, it is a quiet day at the Nutcase home. Lost privileges, a quick lunch, chores immediately, no playing outside, no videos/movies, no computer time, and whatever else I decide to do.

The Other Nut and Peanut are at the symphony. I'm home with the delinquents who are surprisingly pretty quiet now.

Please feel free to nominate me for "Mother of the Year" award. Thank you.

3 comments:

Lisa Maria said...

It must have been contagious as I had my trials on this end too. Thank God that days don't last forever! I totally empathize, sympathize and allow me to vocalize my looking forward to bedtime, quiet time and PEACE time today! ;-)

Jen said...

Okay, so I totally LOL'ed on that note. Hilarious. And I can only laugh because I have 1 that could have done the same thing!

Debbie said...

For some reason, I have the song "Mama said they'll be days like this" stuck in my head now.

This whole thing is way too familiar, which means that even though I'm almost FIFTY, the memory is still good.

This post is a wonderful example of exactly what our heavenly father must deal with on a moment by moment basis with his children.

I love it for that reason. I love to be taught about myself, and this one does it.

I've been the Walnut.
I've been the Hazelnut.

Great post. And I DO think you deserve to be Mom of the Year for the way you handled it.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...