Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Mom

In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I would share with you my mom. This is one of my favorite pictures of her which is good, because this is one of the only pictures I have of her. I don't have too many recent ones-I think I might have to fix that.


I think she is so pretty, here in this picture and now. She has taught me a lot in my life. We didn't always get along, as many teenagers and moms don't, but we made it through. I wouldn't say our life was always easy either. There were some tough financial years which can be hard on anyone. But we made it through.
And I know that I gave her plenty of grey hairs. Sorry mom:)

My mom is a strong woman. She showed me how to persevere. Like I said, there were some tough years in there financially, but my parents stuck with it. They could have given up on each other and walked away-but they didn't.
She taught me to not give up and the importance of wedding vows. 

My mom was and is always good at praying. She knows the power of prayer. There were many nights when I was not living for the Lord that my mom spent in prayer. I remember her telling me that sometimes God would wake her up in the middle of the night to pray for me when I was away at college. Boy did I need it.
She taught me about the importance of praying for my children.

I watched my mom sacrifice for my sister and me. She didn't get to go shopping for clothes that much, because she was trying to keep us in clothes. We never had the most fancy or most expensive, but she would let us get some of the "in" brands sometimes. I am thankful that she didn't get them for us all the time. Even though not at the time, I am thankful that I had to shop at K-Mart sometimes.
She taught me about sacrifice and that you don't always have to have the "cool" things to make it through life.

I remember one morning realizing that my mom had gone without breakfast so I could eat the last of the cereal. I will never forget that.
She taught me about the love of a mother for her child-that you would go without for your child. 

My mom had to watch me suffer through the horrible disease of anorexia, and I know that was hard for her. She would come into my room at night just to make sure I was still breathing. I am sure she felt like her heart was ripping out while she watched me fight that battle.
She taught me about the depth of a mother's love for her child-that when your child suffers, you suffer. 

Through the good times and the hard times, I have seen her keep going. I have seen her grow and mature.

I am thankful that God chose her to be my mom. I am thankful for both the good times and the hard times, because they both helped shape me into who I am today. I am thankful that my mom loves Jesus.

Because she taught me to love Jesus.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

This was really beautiful!

Debbie said...

That was a beautiful tribute. I couldn't agree with you more about the gift of learning to sacrifice.

I loved the part about God waking her up in the middle of the night to pray for you. He has done that to me for my own daughters.

And she was very beautiful!

"Ima" said...

Thanks Cheryl and Debbie. I enjoyed writing this for my mom. We had some hard years in there, but she taught me a lot. She's a strong, beautiful woman.

Lisa Maria said...

Wonderful Tami.. thank you for sharing your mother with us. She IS beautiful and strong. I hope someday my own children will be able to feel the way you do about your mom.

Love & Blessings

"Ima" said...

Lisa-I have a feeling from what I have learned about you and read from your writings, that your children will definitely feel this way about you. You seem like a wonderful woman and mother. I am honored to call you my bloggy friend.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...