Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Waterpot

photo source
I imagine she was hot from the sun beating down on her, sweat beads dripping down her face and back of her neck. Her feet were probably covered in dirt from the long walk, waterpot in hand. And the aching that was probably in her soul; for she walked alone. Alone. I wonder how deep the longing of her heart went, a longing for relationship, a longing to be known.

The words came as a shock to her, "give Me a drink of water"; for this wasn't someone that would typically speak to her. She was a woman, and a Samaritan for that matter. And Him? Well, He was a Jew.

And yet, in those words, "give Me a drink of water", a message was spoken; one much deeper than just water. It was a message of acceptance, an invitation to enter into a relationship, to be known. It was a message of hope.

And Jesus knew that she needed hope. He knew that she needed living water.

"If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."

She, still holding onto her waterpot, onto her desire for physical water, didn't understand.

". . .where then do You get that living water?"

He, still holding the answer to living water, to this eternal life, pursues her more. Further still he goes, explaining that she will no longer thirst again.

And yet, she still doesn't realize what He is offering her. Her focus remains on her waterpot, and the physical water for which she has come. Sometimes I find myself standing, waterpot in hand, looking, searching for something physical to quench my spiritual thirst.

"Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty, nor come all the way here to draw."

Further still He goes, pursuing her to the depths of her soul; a soul that He knows is thirsty for more than just physical water. He doesn't shy away from her pain, but brings it to light, to the Light. It's as if He says, "I know you, every part of you and your life. I know your pain, the depths of your scars, and I am here to bring you healing."

He meets her right there in her aloneness. Aloneness; sometimes it's the only place I see the pursuing of Jesus for my soul.


". . . for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly."

And at this, she realizes that this man she is speaking to is different, but how? Is He just a prophet that knows some things of God?

Another question asked and further He goes to get her to see.

Closer she gets.

"I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us."

And then she hears the words that He was saying all along; "I who speak to you am He."

Finally, for the first time, she sees. And then for the first time her focus changes. Her longing for physical water is overshadowed by her need for living water.

"So the woman left her waterpot,. . ."

Alone, we stand with our waterpot in hand, reaching for something to quench our need, not realizing what we truly need. And often times, it's in this aloneness, that we meet the passionate pursuit of Jesus Christ, who comes with a message of hope, a message of living water. May we leave our waterpot.

John 4:1-28



 


9 comments:

Anna said...

This is a beautiful post. Yes, in this alone places is where Jesus has also met me. Lovely words, thank you for this. Leaving my water pot.
(and I love your button! one of the best I've seen!)

life or something like it said...

this is so beautiful. I love this story, and I love how you captured in words the woman and her longing.

Anna said...

Hi, me again, just read some of your pages, your story, and what is a nutcase (loved this description by the way). I'm a total nutcase. So happy to meet a fellow nut!

messy marriage said...

I loved this analogy. I hadn't really played the idea out in my head before. We do the same thing, as you said, wanting other "things" rather than what Jesus wants to give us! Thanks for the encouragement!

emily wierenga said...

oh, that my physical needs might be overshadowed by my spiritual longings... thank you for this incredible post, friend.

Joybird said...

Sometimes I find myself standing, waterpot in hand, looking, searching for something physical to quench my spiritual thirst...Yes, so, so often. Waiting for the satisfaction in what I can see, feel, measure.

He doesn't shy away from her pain, but brings it to light, to the Light...this reminds me of my current ssmt verse Ephesians 5:13-14

May we leave our waterpot...beautiful, just beautiful Ima.

Lynda said...

A beautiful post!!! Thank you for linking up at Women of Noble Character. God bless you!

Pamela said...

So thankful God knows just what I need--whether a friend or living water. Beautiful!

Pamela

"Ima" said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. I have always loved this passage. I just taught on it recently and the realization that she left her waterpot really jumped out at me. If you were new here today, I visited your blogs. There are so many great blogs out there! Thanks for visiting.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...