Friday, July 1, 2011

Five Minute Friday-Welcome

Five Minute Friday link up with The Gypsy Mama-

1. Write for 5 minutes flat with no editing, tweaking or self critiquing.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in {you can grab the button code in my right side bar}
3. Go and tell the person who linked up before you what their words meant to you. Every writer longs to feel heard.

My bloggy friend at This Little Light of Mine linked up today for the first time. This was my second. We agreed that we would both link up today-we decided we would be brave together. Be sure to hop over to her blog to check her's out.

GO

Well, I had to laugh when I saw the word, "welcome" for today's five minute Friday. You see, I haven't really felt very welcoming lately. I'll just blame it on the hormones that are not working well. And I really needed to be welcoming. I was at VBS all week being the VBS nurse for the kids there. And they really are very sweet, cute kids. It's just that I really had to work at being patient this week, really lean on God's grace, and work at being, well, welcoming to them. The ones that came when they really weren't sick; they just said they were, because they wanted to play with my blue gloves and see what was in my medical supply kit. They wanted to sit in my chair and have me get snow cones and water for them. They wanted me to welcome them into my little nursing station, talk to them, and love on them. Some did have real medical needs (the ants were out in record numbers), but mostly they just wanted to talk and have me listen. And so I did. Probably not as good as I did last year, but thanks to God's grace and love, I did listen and love. I hugged and rubbed little boo-boos. And I let them sit in my chair. Hopefully, they felt welcomed in my world this week.

STOP


9 comments:

Lisa Maria said...

Great job!! Thank you for the kudos.. I don't think I deserve it though. I think you must be a great nurse.. 'loving on them'.. I love that phrase. I'm sure they felt very welcome :-)

Jen said...

Girl, you know the whole vbs thing is close to my heart. So glad that you were open to His grace and love so that you could love the kids with all you had. But you know, you really did a good job of welcoming the man with the flat tire, too.

Jen said...

Was it a flat tire? Anyway, the one with the car trouble...

Debbie said...

I'm positive that I could NOT do this meme. I would be in the middle of a thought about "welcome" and suddenly type:

"Was that a blue jay?" (or something like that)

If the prompt is ADDebbie, I'll try.

But YOU? This was great. I guarantee that you made those VBSers very welcome.

"Ima" said...

Lisa Maria-yes you do! As far as the nursing goes, I can be good at the loving part, but boy, I have to dig deep for the knowledge part. It's been 12 years since I graduated, and I never actually worked as a nurse :) Glad it was just ant bites this year.

Thanks Jen-I know VBS is dear to you. I love it too. The sweet little kids that just want some attention and love. So thankful for God's grace this week to actually smile at them :) And thank you for the sweet comment about the man with car trouble. It wasn't his tire, but I'm not sure what it was totally-I just know his car wouldn't start, and we couldn't get it jumped.

"Ima" said...

Debbie-you just make me laugh and smile. I bet you could do it. You write so beautifully. Besides, the Other Nut always says that I'm like the dogs on "Up", the ones that would get distracted and say "squirrel". I'm like that-I'm always taking rabbit trails and get distracted. I'm kind of like the dogs-"squirrel" :)

"Ima" said...

p.s. What exactly is a "meme" in the blog world? I've seen that word before, but don't know what it really means.

Anna said...

Awesome five minute post; you did great! (I didn't do one this week). Good for you, volunteering for VBS! I love this "VBS Season" (for lack of what to call it, but when it's in full swing in summer).

"Ima" said...

Thanks Anna. I think I will keep trying these 5 minute Fridays. And yes, I love VBS as well. Very fun week with some cute kids.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...