Sunday, July 3, 2011

What Happens When You Try To Save Money

So, we've been hit with the Dave Ramsey little black book with envelopes here in the Nutcase house. Overall, it's been a great experience. We have saved more money than we normally did in the past-spending is a lot different when it is mainly done with cash. Handing over a bunch of bills is a lot more painful than just swiping a card.

Because of this, we have tried to think of different ways to save money. I had the brilliant idea that in my spare time, I was going to groom our dogs myself. Taking all 3 big, hairy dogs to the groomers cost us $230 every time. This, of course, meant I didn't take them that often which resulted in this. And as much as I love dogs, I don't like their fur being deposited all around my house.

So, when you have been Dave Ramseyfied, have 3 big dogs, and don't like their fur everywhere, you kind of have to try to groom them yourself. I bought a really nice pair of clippers which was actually cheaper than one trip to the groomers, and got to work. I started with Addie first since she is the calmest dog we have. And can I just say, bless her little heart for having to be the guinea pig.

Before I show you pictures, please let me remind you that this was the first time I have ever done this. I was so afraid that I was going to cut her. I also want to say that dog groomers rock!

I now present to you what happens when you try to save money:






Poor girl. Doesn't she just look pitiful? The pictures don't do the bad haircut justice. When the Other Nut got home, he said, in between bursts of laughter, that I really needed to try and fix it-she looked that bad. And I kind of think she knows it-she has been pretty mopey since then. I did fix it though, and she does look better. My dogs are definitely not going to be show dogs that's for sure!

Well, they might look kind of funny until I get the hang of it, but it will definitely save us some money. And hopefully, I won't have fur balls all over my house all the time.

P.S. DOG GROOMERS ROCK!


8 comments:

Jen said...

This cracked me up!

"Ima" said...

I know! Doesn't she just look pitiful? She is looking better though. I was too afraid to cut near her legs or stomach. I was so afraid I would cut her. She'll probably run next time she sees and hears the clippers:)

Kristin Bridgman said...

(laughing)!
I just trimmed my dog all over. We get fur all over the floors, so gave her a good haircut...I just use scizzors. Just tell your sweet dog, the hair will grow back:)
Thank you for coming over and becoming a follower. I have seen you on Lisa Maria's site, such a sweet follower! :)
Looking forward to what's next at your place ;))

My daily walk in His grace! said...

Hi there. Not only did you save money, you got a few free laughs too. Fortunately, I have Labradors or they might look a sight too.
God bless
Tracy

Lisa Maria said...

Tami, thanks for making me laugh today! I wasn't laughing AT you but WITH you.. you see.. I've done lots of things to save money.. including grooming my dogs myself too. Don't worry.. it'll get better, I promise!

I used to do our cocker spaniel (he's gone to doggy heaven since) but I doubt any dog could be worse than him except maybe a puli, poodle or.. ok maybe I'm being melodramatic here ;-) but his fur used to get so matted that I had to cut him really close to the skin.. kinda like how you did your dog.

Hope you enjoy your Independence Day celebrations.

Love & Blessings

"Ima" said...

Thanks Kristin for stopping by here. I do think Addie is getting use to her pitiful haircut-she even seemed kind of spunky tonight :)

Tracy-that is so true. I laughed all day when I looked at her. I felt so bad and yet couldn't stop laughing.

Hey Lisa Maria-It's always nice knowing I'm not the only one:) I'm glad I will get better-I can already tell that I got over the scared phase. I'll post pictures when I get really good. Before long, I'll be advertising for my own dog groomers business. Ha!

Debbie said...

I give you major props for doing it!! I don't think it looks bad at all, but the story is so funny.

Wait until Mr. Nut sees you heading HIS way with the dog trimmer... giggle.

"Ima" said...

Debbie-so funny you mention that. I teased the Other Nut and asked him if he wanted me to start cutting his hair. He quickly said "Um, no babe. That's OK." But I agree-at least I tried:) And I know I'll get better. I'm just not sure the dogs will let me keep doing it-they might run when they hear the clippers.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...