Saturday, August 13, 2011

I Think I Missed It

photo source
I don't know if I did the right thing today. You know those times that you realize that maybe you missed a great teaching opportunity? Well, today I wonder if I missed it.

You see, I needed to go to Target and get some gluten free cake mix (which they didn't have), and a new broom ( which they did have). The Walnut asked if he could take some of his money and buy 2 new Ninjago toys which I have to say, I still don't know how I feel about these toys. But that's not the point of my story so I digress.

Anyways, I said, "Yes, sure," as long as he has enough and doesn't get into his savings. So off we go, me, Hazelnut, and the Walnut with $22 in his hands. He is so excited, he can hardly wait. We get our things and head to the check-out lane. I pay for my things, and then he hands his 2 new toys to the lady at the register.

"That will be $22.17 please."

"Oh. I only have $22."

And this is where I think I missed it. I knew he had 17 cents at home to pay me back, and so I handed him 17 cents to cover the cost. And he walked out with 2 new toys, and no really good tangible life lesson. I realized it immediately so we talked about it on the way out. I asked him what he would have done if I wasn't there, because one day I won't be there to give him 17 cents. One day I won't be there to give him anything except the things I taught him.

It took him a while, but he finally got it. He said that he would have to put one back.  And then he asked if he could have them hold one until he could come back with more money.

"But what if you didn't have any more money at home?"

"Well, I couldn't get it."

"And so you would have to put one back and not get it at all right?"

"Right."

But I just don't know if he really got it by just a conversation. I think he would have learned more if I hadn't given him that 17 cents, made him put one back, and then wait until we could return.

I think I missed it today.

What about you? Would you have given the 17 cents?

5 comments:

My daily walk in His grace! said...

Hi Tami - I think you did fine. A lot of moms might not even asked the questions which made him think.
God bless
Tracy

Debbie said...

Well, friend, I'm pretty sure that I would have given the 17 cents and then immediately started beating myself up just like you are doing over whether I had "missed" it. And then, I would have tried to teach the lesson through conversation just like you and STILL second guessed myself.

Said all that to say that we are too much alike. I guess need a nutcase nickname. Can I be a Brazil Nut? That sounds kind of exotic.


And you did just fine. It's not a "miss" if you pick up the dropped ball and score. You did.

Shawn said...

i would have given it to him, but i'm a softie and he's my little man. probably wouldn't have even made him pay my back - i'm such a sap! :)

"Ima" said...

Thanks Tracy. I so pray he understands. I think he does. He's a pretty special little guy.

Debbie-yes, we are a lot alike aren't we. I'm done beating myself up:) It's hard because I'm always looking for teaching moments about life. I love those conversations with my little nuts. And yes,you can so be Brazil Nut. I think that will be wonderful and exotic.

And to the Other Nut-yes, you would have so given him the money and not made him pay you back, but you are a wonderful daddy-even if you do let them pick which leg to get their spaking on:) Ha! I love you madly.

Melody said...

totally would've given it to him but love how you talked to him about it.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...