Friday, August 19, 2011

Psalm 16:5

"I know of no greater simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things that happen to us that do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion" ("This belongs to it, that does not")? Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty? Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion other options are canceled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. A quiet heart is content with what God gives."

Elisabeth Elliot

6 comments:

Lisa Maria said...

What a profound quotation and one I like very much! This is what I strive for myself.. and yes! it does make decision making easier and I can find contentment in what I have.

Wonderful post Ima.. thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a lovely weekend!

Debbie said...

I love Elisabeth Elliot. I'm all about her "Do The Next Thing" poem and concept.

Funny, this is the second post I have read since sitting down at my desk to mention the word "quiet". Both were quotes from venerable old voices of the faith, too.

One spoke of a quiet soul.
The other of a quiet heart.

I'm listening. Quietly.

Anonymous said...

google website ranking top 10 seo backlinks quality backlinks

The Hoskisons said...

You're so sweet to think of us! Thankfully the fire is about 35-40 miles from where we live, but it is near the other two ranches Cole manages. He is up there this morning checking on things. Thank you for the prayers!

The Hoskisons said...

You're so sweet to think of us! Thankfully the fire is about 35-40 miles from where we live, but it is near the other two ranches Cole manages. He is up there this morning checking on things. Thank you for the prayers!

Debbie said...

I just wanted you to know that I have noticed your absence and miss your posts.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...