Saturday, November 3, 2012

In Which I Claw My Way Back (Day 1)

Well, technically, it is day 2 so I guess I'm not off to a good start. But I do have a good reason; the Walnut came down with strep, and I woke with a head cold so blogging about feelings and life just didn't seem that fun.

In view of this already happening on day 1 (which is now day2), I think in the future I'll skip the whole day thing and just write. Plus, I'm not all that great with consistency in some things, blogging being one of them. Maybe by not thinking about the days, it will have some kind of reverse psychology effect (or is it affect? I never have gotten that one down) on me, and I'll actually write everyday.

So today? Well, considering the whole head cold thing, I slept quite a lot. My son on the other hand, being on antibiotics, was already bouncing off the walls. If you didn't know, you would have no idea the kid had strep which is a good thing.

I didn't really do any deep thinking or any great attempt at clawing my way back (or I guess to go along with my whole blog theme/name, I should be saying "cracking my nutcase open"-maybe I'll change it in the next post, as I'm sure any good blogger would tell me to do so), but I have done a lot of thinking since I've moved. We all know I have plenty of time.

What are some of these thoughts? Well, I'm so glad you asked, because now I can tell you.

One is quite simple-moving S.U.C.K.S. Yeah, that is kind of a bad word, and we don't let our kids use it, but I think moving deserves such a description. Now, some of you might not feel that way about moving; maybe you've moved more than you've stayed. Or you have at least moved enough to not have moving be that big of a deal, but I'm clearly not one of them.

In some ways, I get the sense that people around me think I should be over the whole moving thing by now. Some probably do, and some probably don't (although I don't think I've met too many of them). I mean it's not like I moved that far (I'm at least still in Texas), and it's not like I moved somewhere awful. Here, I have every single amenity you could want, and it is pretty; but, I don't have the amenities that make it feel like home and community. All of those are back in Houston.

Here's the deal. I've realized that not many people have moved under my circumstances, at least not recently. My parent's still live in the only house that I know-we moved in there when I was 2. I'm now 37. My sister still lives about 10 minutes from them. I lived at home until I got married. With the exception of the first semester of college, I didn't live outside of a 30 mile radius from my childhood home. A lot of people at least moved away for college.

Needless to say, moving for the first time at the age of 37 was a bit of a shock. Not to mention that we left some of the best friends you could have. I'm sure everyone feels that way about their friends, but we had some pretty deep roots; numerous families that were like 1 big family. The husbands got along; the wives got along; and the kids were all so close. With each family, age didn't matter between the kids (although there was generally always a kid close to the age of each other-our church had large families)-everyone got along. We even sat around the campfire and sang Kum Ba Ya. (kidding on the last one) But it was pretty close!

I guess that's all for tonight. Not anything about my day, but some beginning thoughts of what I have noticed about moving.

No comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...